Week 13 Story: Down Which Rabbit Hole?


Alice by Manja Ciric. Web source: Creative Commons. 


It was barely lunchtime, but Alice already wished that the day was over. She was sick of spending day after day hanging out with her sister, Nancy, trying to fill what felt like an endless summer. Alice and Nancy used to have so much fun together during school vacations. They would use their imaginations to travel to faraway lands, slay dragons, and fly over the mountains. These days, all Nancy did was stare at her phone. Scrolling and scrolling. Swiping and swiping. Tapping and tapping.

Not only did Alice miss playing with her best friend, she missed the adventures that they once went on so often. Alice found no enjoyment staring at her phone for hours and hours, so she eventually decided to do something else.

"I'm going outside to play. Do you want to come with me?" Alice asked Nancy.

Nancy looked up, rolled her eyes and just shook her head.

Alice stomped outside and started trying to imagine things on her own. It wasn't nearly as fun fighting monsters when you have to play both parts. She became frustrated and sat down in the grass. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a little white rabbit. It was such a cute animal, and it really brought a smile to her face. All of the sudden, she heard someone talking and thought Nancy must have come outside, but there was no one around.

It was the rabbit talking! Alice got closer and saw the rabbit pull a cellphone out of his pocket to check the time.

"Oh dear!" the rabbit exclaimed. "I'm late! I'm so very late!"

Alice couldn't believe her eyes, so she followed the rabbit across the field. He disappeared down a rabbit hole before she could catch up to him. She noticed that there were two identical rabbit holes. Alice then had to decide which one would lead her to the rabbit.

Author's note:

This is a retelling of the first part of Down the Rabbit-Hole from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. In the original story, Alice is bored of reading books and sitting with her sister to pass the time when she spots the white rabbit and follows him to Wonderland. I made made story more modern by adding cell phones, and I also focused more on Alice's relationship with her sister. Lastly, I made my version ending a cliffhanger so that we have to wonder if Alice made it to the rabbit or not.


Bibliography:

Chapter I. Down the Rabbit-Hole from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Web source: The UN-Textbook. 

Comments

  1. Rachel,
    Great job on the story! I always love Alice stories. There are so many different stories you can tell. I like how you modernized this one by adding the cell phones. I am glad to hear that Alice still enjoys the adventures of life instead of staring at her phone. It is too bad Nancy is kind of being lame. It would be super cool to add one of Alice's adventures with her sister to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel!

    I think you did a great job with your retelling. I have such a soft spot for Alice because Alice and Wonderland is one of the movies I watched over and over again as a kid. I think modernizing it is a fun take on the story. Great idea making the ending a cliff hanger. Thankfully I've read the story and know what happened.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook