Week 2 Reading Overview

Here is my tentative plan for reading units that I will cover throughout this semester:


Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Aesop (Winter)

Week 4: Women Saints

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Arabian Nights

Week 6: Tales of a Parrot

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Brer Rabbit

Week 9: The Monkey King

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Marriage Tales

Week 11: Cherokee

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Robin Hood

Week 13: Alice in Wonderland

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Brothers Grimm (Crane)

Week 15: Italian

I am very excited to start these reading assignments. One of the units that I am most looking forward to is Women Saints. During my time in college, I have taken several gender studies courses, so I am curious to learn more about the women characters while reading these stories. Alice in Wonderland is another unit that I am excited for simply because it is a story that I am familiar with from various movie and television versions. I have not done much reading into the adventures of Alice, so I think that this unit will be fun. Finally, I am really interested to cover the Italian stories from the European units. My dad's family is Italian, so I think it is always enriching to learn more about this culture.

One thing is for sure: this semester is going to be full of interesting reading and writing. I am excited to explore the units that I have picked, and am looking forward to getting to know about even more of the units through everyone's blogs.

Below is an image from a Brothers Grimm story. I chose this image because of how it represents the darkness and eeriness that is so iconic in Brothers Grimm stories. I am looking forward to reading some of these twisted fairytales this semester.
Image from The Fisherman and his Wife. Illustration by Otto Ubbelohde. Web source: The UnTextbook

Happy reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook

Week 9 Story: The Candy Store Queen