Topic Brainstorm

Below are a few topics that I am interested in learning and writing more about in the coming weeks for our storybook project.


Alice in Wonderland

Alice is a character that I have resonated with since childhood. I appreciate the stories being centered around her curiosity. After all, wonder and exploration are what make stories interesting to tell and listen to, right? I think that if I were to cover this topic for my storybook, I would create a sort of alternate plot that explores: What if Alice had gone through a different door? What happens in Wonderland if she doesn't make it there? These are just a few ideas of how I could create my own Alice in Wonderland story.

Web source. 


The Land of Oz

I may have mentioned this before, but I am completely fascinated with any and all stories of Oz. While we have all heard stories that focus more on the witches of Oz, (Wicked the musical likely being the most popular) I think that I might be interested in doing some research and delving more into some of the other characters, or maybe even explore why the Emerald City is green. Oz allows for so many storytelling possibilities, and that is why I am really interested in this topic.

Web source. 

Hans Christian Andersen: The Little Mermaid 

I am very interested in topics involving women's studies and women's empowerment. At the root of the story, I think that this is what The Little Mermaid is all about; a young woman finding her voice (both literally and figuratively). One idea that I am interested in pursuing is a gender-bent version of this famous story, where the undersea kingdom is ruled by a matriarch. I think that this change would force readers to think about some of the stereotypes that they are more comfortable with (like a young, helpless princess, and a handsome, capable prince) and turn them inside out.

Web source.


Brothers Grimm: Rapunzel 

It's pretty clear that the Brothers Grimm telling of Rapunzel is a little different than the happy version most of us know from the movie Tangled today. I think that retelling popular stories like this is so much fun people think that they know the stories they are going to get, but that is not always the case. After reading this story again, I am interested to know the backstory of the enchantress who held Rapunzel captive for all of those years. So maybe I could be the one to write that backstory. I firmly believe that there is always more to fairytale villains, so I would love to explore that in my storybook.

Web source.


Rapunzel illustration by John B. Gruelle from the Project Gutenberg eBook. Web source: Wikimedia Commons. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook

Week 9 Story: The Candy Store Queen