My Storybook Favorites

Exploring through past storybooks gave me the opportunity to get some ideas for my own storytelling. During this exploration, I also found a few storybooks that were especially interesting to me.

The Lovers of Zeus stood out to me because of its modern story of the otherwise ancient Greek mythology figures in today's dating scene. I have previously read other books and stories that place ancient figures like this in present times, so I was interested in seeing this storybook's take on the same idea. The introduction places the reader right in the middle of the story and immediately left me curious about what was going to happen next. In addition to the written content, the visuals and layout contributed to effectively telling the story Zeus' dating life. The dark colors and stormy weather imagery serves a double purpose of representing Zeus' status as god of the sky and the stormy, tumultuous situation his relationships are in. This storybook has given me some ideas for how I can create my own story both with words and images.

Alice in Relations is another storybook that I enjoyed. The wording of the title is what initially caught my interest, as it did not give me a very good idea of what the story was going to be about beyond the topic of Alice in Wonderland. This ultimately made me more curious about the type of stories that would be contained in this book. In the introduction, the character of Alice was speaking directly to the reader, and I think that this was an effective way of not only making the reader want to continue on, but it also helps the reader get to know Alice and her personality. This interesting style of introduction is something that I will keep in mind when I am creating my storybook.


Witches of Oz was the storybook that I was most excited to explore. I have always been fascinated by this topic, from the classic tale of the Wizard of Oz, to the musical Wicked and its focus on the witches of Oz. The title immediately let me know what the stories were going to be about, but the introduction gave an even deeper look into the tales of the witches. In the introduction, readers are also told that these were not going to be stories about the witches of Oz that they have heard before, which for me makes it all the more important that I find out exactly what is going to happen. Finally, the emerald design of this storybook carried on the important color theme associated with the topic of Oz. Making connections to color and other design elements is something that I can incorporate into my own story book.


Illustration of Wizard of Oz characters. "The Wizard of Oz" by Lá Studio, blue Rain. Licensed under CC by NC-ND 4.0. Web source: Creative Commons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook

Week 9 Story: The Candy Store Queen