Long Island City: My Favorite Place




Aerial image of Long Island City. "LIC" photographed by simplethrill. Web source: Creative Commons. 

For as long as I can remember, I have loved the idea of living in a big city. Growing up in the small town of Noble, Oklahoma (just about 10 minutes south of the OU Norman campus) never gave me the thrill of fast-paced city life that I always wanted. My dad was born and raised in New York, and it has been in the back of my mind of a place that I would love to visit and eventually, maybe, even live.

The past two summers I have had the opportunity to take trips to explore more of New York City. I know what most of you are thinking but, no. The New York that I am talking about is not Times Square with its crowded sidewalks and bright lights. My favorite place is a more secluded, industrial part of New York called Long Island City; specifically, the few blocks surrounding Queensboro Plaza subway station. On just one street you can find a market with the kindest workers, art on the sidewalks, and a bagel shop that also has amazing coffee. If you know me, you know that there are few things in this world that I love more than bagels and coffee. It is a home away from home for me, and I always look forward to the next time I am able to visit.


Personal image archived from my Instagram stories. Coffee and bagel from Clever Bend LIC.  August 2019.

Comments

  1. Oh, Rachel, how great that you have been able to spend time in New York! Truly one of the world's amazing cities. Yay for bagels and coffee! And for books too: one of my favorite Twitter feeds is the New York Public Library. Even if I cannot go to the actual library whenever I want (they have so many great events!), they share lots via Twitter; you'll see NYPL showing up in the class Twitter feed for sure, with its famous lion sculptures as avatar! :-)
    New York Public Library

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook

Week 9 Story: The Candy Store Queen