Learning More About Growth Mindset






Growth mindset cat meme by Laura Gibbs from Growth Mindset and Feedback Cats. Original image from cheezburger.


I have never heard of Carol Dweck's research on the concept of growth mindset, so it was interesting to learn about this idea in education. A growth mindset means seeing and learning from a perspective that accepts and appreciates the process and time it can take to accomplish things. Dweck describes this idea in terms of "yet" and "not yet." A fixed mindset would put an emphasis on students getting a good grade on each test now. Growth mindset focuses on the possibility of yet though, which gives the opportunity for students to remain hopeful about their journey to learning or accomplishing something. Just because a student hasn't accomplished something yet does not mean that they never will.


I think that the idea of growth mindset is completely fascinating. After reading and listening to some information about it, it makes complete sense to me. For most of my life, my schooling and education has been centered on a fixed mindset, on pass or fail, on now or never. Growth mindset creates a sort of freedom because of its recognition of the time things can take to be accomplished. In my high school, if you failed a test, you simply failed that section of the course. There was no space for yet or any encouragement to try again. For me, this meant that I was just ready to move on from the subject or units that I was not as successful in. I didn't have any motivation to learn the content more thoroughly, I just wanted to get over my failure.

Growth mindset is an empowering stance to take when it comes to learning both in an academic setting and in everyday life. Once we begin thinking of things in terms of "yet," we begin creating the possibility for more effective and quality learning. Moving forward in my classes this semester, I am going to be more cognizant of keeping a growth mindset and learning from my initial shortcomings. After all, maybe I just haven't perfected things YET.







Comments

  1. Hi Rachel! I really related with your words and how you talked about fixed and growth mindset. You stated your beliefs really clearly. Personally, I believe in growth mindset and that people can develop their brain and knowledge intake as much as they want. In high school, I too thought it was a pass or fail position, but since I have come to college, I have realized that each year/semester is a growing experience. The "yet" is simply the journey one takes to achieve their professional aspirations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook

Week 9 Story: The Candy Store Queen