Feedback Thoughts

So now it's time to talk about something that is a little scary for me...Feedback. I know that it makes you think, work harder, and ultimately be better. For most of my life though, I have been terrified of receiving feedback for fear that I would hear something that I didn't like or that my feelings would be hurt. Learning more about why failure and feedback are both necessary parts of the creative process, though has given me a new perspective.

The first article that I read while researching this idea was "Talking about Failure is Crucial For Growth. Here's How to Do It Right." This article was particularly interesting to me because of its emphasis on actually speaking out loud about your failures when they happen. From personal experience, it has always been my instinct to hide from or ignore my failures instead of learning why they happened and how I can do better next time. Failure is not something to be ashamed, but something to learn from. This article gave some interesting research about how talking about failures can make people accomplish more and be happier while doing it. I think this research is motivating for me to be more willing to discuss my failures and receive feedback on my work.

"Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman's Advice on the Creative Life, Adapted by Design Legend Chip Kidd" is an article that covers a popular commencement speech given by Gaiman. The speech encourages students to "make good art" no matter what. This sends the message that it is important to not wait for the right time to make art, because there really is never the right time. It also makes the point that it take courage to create and put yourself and creative work out for everyone to see.

Both of these articles provide support for the process of creating, writing, inventing, failing, receiving feedback, and doing it all over again. These ideas are things that I hope to work on even more throughout the semester.

Feedback cat meme created by Laura Gibbs. Original image from cheezburger. Web source. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to...A Foodie who Can't Cook

Week 9 Story: The Candy Store Queen